12–7 months before your 65th birthday:
- Contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.
- Confirm your eligibility for Medicare benefits.
- Review your current health insurance coverage to find out what happens after you turn 65.
- Find out how to fill in the gaps where Medicare leaves off.
- Call our Medicare Supplement insurance representatives to help with all your questions. Toll free 1-888-922-2789.
- Become familiar with Medicare Supplement insurance plans.
6–4 months before your 65th birthday:
- If you haven’t enrolled yet, contact us TOLL FREE at 1-888-421-6800 to review your Medicare Supplement insurance plan options.
- Contact your state’s Department of Insurance to explore your Medicare Supplement rights and guarantees. Each state may have different rules.
- Check with your doctor(s) to see if they accept Medicare.
3–1 months before your 65th birthday:
- Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B. If you do not receive your automatic enrollment information by mail, contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.
- Although enrollment in Part A is automatic, it is a good idea to apply by calling the Social Security office.
- You can apply for Medicare as early as 3 months before your 65th birthday.
- Your application can be taken at your local Social Security office, over the phone or online.
- Medicare Part B is optional, but you should not turn it down unless you have primary insurance from another source.
- Research and select a Prescription Drug Plan (PDP).
- Choose the Medicare Supplement Insurance plan that will help cover Medicare’s cost gaps.